Thursday, November 12, 2009

Hasan psychotic? Why was he promoted to Major?

If you haven't seen my other articles on Major Hasan, you can read them here and here.  Today I was browsing the news sites, when I came across this one.

What caught my attention was the following paragraph.


Hasan had been a trouble spot on officials' radar since he started training at Walter Reed, six years earlier. Several officials confirm that supervisors had repeatedly given him poor evaluations and warned him that he was doing substandard work.
Both fellow students and faculty were deeply troubled by Hasan's behavior — which they variously called disconnected, aloof, paranoid, belligerent, and schizoid. The officials say he antagonized some students and faculty by espousing what they perceived to be extremist Islamic views. His supervisors at Walter Reed had even reprimanded him for telling at least one patient that "Islam can save your soul."

I've been working for a living since 1992, and I know from personal experience that on the times when my work was substandard, I was threatened with termination from my jobs.  Why then, was Major Hasan not passed over for promotions, and why was he promoted to Major?

I think it could have been one of three reasons.
1) Islamophobia - I think that because he was a Muslim, he was given chance after chance after chance, and all because they didn't want to offend him, or have him go to CAIR and complain that he was terminated because of his religion.

2)  Political Correctness - If it had been a Christian Psychologist that gave the "god can save your soul," speech, he or she would have been fired, but since Major Hasan was a religious minority, and he wasn't christian, nobody did anything about it, or did anything but complain.

3) Fear - They were afraid that if they released him, they'd have to answer questions about why they did it, and they just let it go.  

To be perfectly honest, if he was all that they say he was, then why did they keep him in the army?  Maybe if they had terminated his employment, 14 people would be alive now.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment