Saturday, April 08, 2017

Don't believe everything you see on social media

The other day,  I posted one of those "Your Senior year" mini surveys.  One of the questions was,  "Do you know where your high school sweetheart is now.?"
I answered in a somewhat cryptic fashion.  "I didn't really have a sweetheart,  but my crush is now married to a former squid who works for a company that throws things into orbit. "
Of course, my crush knew who she was, and answered,  "Your wife is one blessed lady...... God knew you didn't need a crush..... God knew you needed something much more special: Someone who loves you to the moon and back just because you were and are YOU!!! (And you had/have the best example of what true love looks like from your mom and dad!....... just like your kiddos will be able to say the same thing about you and your amazing wife!) 😊"
I've never once attended a class reunion,  nor have I really spoken to my former classmates.  The only reason we know each other are alive is because of Facebook.  
I don't really post updates about my family, save for the rare sports event that I get to attend,  or the rare comic convention that I go to with my kids. 
Most of the pictures of my kids comes from the times when my wife tags me in pictures, so that my friends know that I have kids.  There are very few pictures of my wife and I together (and those were taken when we were dating and at our wedding. ) 
So, based upon those pictures of my smiling kids,  my high school crush thinks that I have a wonderful "White Christmas" type of life.

My reality is somewhat different.   I work 48 to 50 hours a week,  I have to scrape for money, and I get to go out and have fun maybe once a year.   My wife hasn't shown any real affection to me in 7 years.  My wife's sister lives with us and is constantly sniping at me, and all I want to do is treat her like the bitch she acts like.  

So, the moral of the story is: Don't believe everything you read on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment